3201 Jermantown Road – Suite 600
Fairfax, VA 22030
Brendan P. Bunn is a shareholder in the firm’s Fairfax office and has been practicing community association law since 1993. He counsels the firm’s clients on the broad range of community association law issues and is also an experienced litigator. His recent projects include pursuit of condominium developer warranty claims and assisting clients in amending their governing documents. Brendan has additional experience in cooperative-to-condominium conversions. From 1993 to 1998, Brendan practiced with the D.C. office of Whiteford, Taylor & Preston, LLP, and he joined Chadwick, Washington in 1998. He was elected as shareholder in the firm in 2001.
CAI and CCAL. Brendan is a member of the College of Community Association Lawyers (CCAL) and co-chaired CCAL’s Law Seminar Planning Committee from 2014 to 2019. He was elected to serve on CCAL’s Board of Governors in 2019 and was recently elected by his fellow Governors to serve as President of the College in 2024.
Brendan also served on the Business Partners Council of National CAI in 2014 and served on National CAI’s Board of Trustees from 2015 – 2017.
At the local level, Brendan has been an active member of the Washington Metropolitan Chapter of CAI since 1993. He was elected President of the Washington Metro Chapter in 2005 and served on the Board of Directors from 2000-2006. He was inducted into the Chapter’s Hall of Fame in 2007.
He has taught numerous programs for CAI, both at the local and national level, ranging from The Essentials introductory course to seminars and lectures at the Chapter’s Annual Conference and Expo event. He has presented at CAI National Conferences and the Community Association Law Seminar. He also served as an adjunct professor at the George Mason University School of Law from 2000 to 2002.
TV and Webinar Appearances. Brendan has appeared numerous times on Fairfax County’s “Your Community, Your Call” television program. Click here to see Brendan’s appearance on the 2017 YCYC program regarding Association meetings; here to see his appearance at the November 2018 program regarding elections; and here to see the September 2019 appearance on insurance issues. Click here to see his appearance on the November 2021 program regarding Virginia’s complaint procedure. Brendan also taught a CAI Webinar regarding the Coronavirus pandemic’s effect on community associations and presented the annual Case Law Update at the 2021 and 2022 Community Association Law Seminars. Click here to watch the 2022 Presentation.
Focus areas in community association law
- General counseling and representation
- Condominium warranty disputes
- Contract negotiations
- Bylaw interpretation and amendments
- Cooperative to Condominium conversions
- George Mason University School of Law, Arlington, Virginia, J.D., 1992
- College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia, B.A., History, 1987
- 1992, Virginia
- 1993, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- 1993, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- 1994, District of Columbia
- 1995, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Fellow, College of Community Association Lawyers (CCAL), elected 2011
- Law Seminar Planning Committee, 2013 – 2019
- Co-Chair on Law Seminar Planning Committee, 2016-2019
- Elected to Board of Governors, 2019
- President-Elect of Board of Governors, 2023
- Community Associations Institute (National)
- Board of Trustees (2014 – 2017)
- Business Partners Council (2012-14)
- Community Associations Institute (CAI), Washington Metropolitan Chapter
- Board of Directors, 2000 – 2006
- President, 2005
- President-Elect 2004; Vice President 2003; Secretary 2002
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Inducted into Hall of Fame of Washington Metro Chapter of CAI, 2007
- Board of Directors of Colchester Towne Condominium Council of Co-Owners v. Wachovia Bank, 266 Va. 46, 581 S.E.2d 201 (Virginia Supreme Court, 2003)
- “Avoiding Mistakes: Addressing Outdated Documents & Rules,” Quorum Magazine, October 2022.
- “Legal Lessons Learned from 2020,” Quorum Magazine, December 2020.
- “Don’t Sleep on Your Rights: Statutory Condominium Warranty Claims in Virginia,” Quorum Magazine, June 2020.
- “Neighbor vs. Neighbor: When to Enter — or Exit — the Fray”, Quorum Magazine, April 2012
- “Ask the Expert: Hidden Camera,” Common Ground magazine, October 2011
- “The Horror of the Hoarder,” Quorum magazine, September 2011
- “Dignity & Diligence: The Problem of the Aging Resident,” Quorum, October 2007
- “Fair Housing Update: Religion & National Origin,” Quorum, September 2006
- “A Guide to Nonjudicial Foreclosure in Virginia,” Quorum, March 2002
- “Top 10 Amendments to Governing Documents,” Quorum, March 2000
- “Conversion Wave,” Quorum, February 2000
- “Can Directors Vote by Email?”, Quorum, March 1999
- “Strategies for Curing the Top 10 Kinds of Dysfunctional Boards,” CVCAI’s “CA Day” – April 14, 2023
- Moderator of “Panel of Pundits,” 2023 CAI Law Seminar.
- “When Boards Make Mistakes: Minimizing the Fallout,” WMCCAI Special Seminar, May 25, 2022.
- “Community Association Case Law Update – Part I,” CAI Law Seminar, February 7, 2022
- “When Boards Make Mistakes: Minimizing the Fallout,” CAI National Conference, August 20, 2021
- “Managing Strange (But True) Common Areas Issues, CAI Virginia Leadership Retreat, August 7, 2021
- “Community Association Case Law Update – Part II” – CAI Law Seminar, January 27, 2021
- “Coronavirus and Community Associations” – CAI/CCAL Webinar, March 24, 2020
- “Strategies for Curing the Top 12 Kinds of Dysfunctional Boards,” WMCCAI Manager’s Brunch, September 17, 2019
- “Breaking It Down: Understanding Association Insurance,” WMCCAI Conference & Expo, March 10, 2018
- “Managing a Community Association Law Practice,” CAI Law Seminar, January 2018 (CLE for attorneys)
- “Fair & Consistent: A Covenant Enforcement Strategy,” WMCCAI Conference & Expo, February 25, 2017
- Panelist, “The Great Debate – Sex, Drugs & Drones,” CAI Chesapeake Symposium & Expo, October 18, 2016
- “Hot Topics Debated” – WMCCAI Conference & Expo, March 12, 2016
- “Panel of Pundits” – CAI Law Seminar, January 2016
- Fair Housing Law in Virginia – CICB Course, CAI Virginia Leadership Retreat, July 2015
- “Avoid the Anarchy: Planning, Conducting & Adjourning the Successful Meeting,” WMCCAI Free Seminar Series, April 2015.
- “Community Association Law for the New — and Not So New — Attorney,” CAI Law Seminar, 2015
- “Hoarding, Loitering & Other Abnormal Behaviors: What’s the Best Medicine?” WMCCAI Conference & Expo, March 2014
- “Managing Strange, But True, Common Area Issues,” WMCCAI Manager Luncheon, November 2013
- “Strategies for Curing the Top Ten Dysfunctional Boards of Directors,” CAI Virginia Leadership Retreat, July 2013
- “Get Out the Vote — and Amend Your Governing Documents: Tips, Strategies & Top 10 Lists,” WMCCAI Conference & Expo, March 2013
- “Smooth Sailing: Keys and Tips for Avoiding the Messy Meeting” (CAI Webinar), March 2012
- “Rules: Purpose & Philosophy,” CAI Virginia Leadership Retreat, July 2011
- “President Elect Training,” CAI National Conference, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2008
- “War Stories and Battle Lessons from the Gen X Trenches,” CAI Law Seminar, 2010
- “Succeeding as a Volunteer Director,” WMCCAI Conference & Expo, February 2010
- “Facing the Foreclosure Crisis”
- CAI Virginia Leadership Retreat, July 2009
- WMCCAI Conference & Expo, February 2009
- “Owner Occupancy & Rental Caps,” WMCCAI Conference & Expo, February 2007
- “Amending Your Governing Documents”
- WMCCAI Conference & Expo, February 2005
- CAI Natl. Conference, May 2003
- “A Guide to Nonjudicial Foreclosure,” SEVCAI CA Day, April 2003
- “Dealing with Problem Residents,” National CAI Conference, May 2001
- CAI ABC’s and Volunteer Leadership Course, numerous sessions 2001 – 2010
- Attorney, Whiteford, Taylor & Preston, LLP, 1993 – 1998
- Adjunct Professor, George Mason University School of Law, 2000-2002