3201 Jermantown Road, Suite 600
Fairfax, VA 22030
Sara J. Ross is a principal in the firm’s Fairfax office. Since 2003, her practice has been devoted to community association law in Virginia. Sara provides counsel and advice to the firm’s clients regarding a wide range of community association issues, including, corporate governance, covenant enforcement, developer transition, drafting of rules and regulations, review and negotiation of client contracts, drafting amendments to governing documents, reviewing and negotiating loan documents, and collections and bankruptcy matters.
Sara is an active member of the Community Associations Institute (“CAI”) and the Washington Metropolitan Chapter of Community Associations Institute (“WMCCAI”). She is currently serving on the CAI Business Partners Counsel and is a member of the Board of Directors. She has also spoken at numerous educational seminars, including the 2010 and 2012 CAI National Conference, the 2013, 2018, 2019 and 2020 WMCCAI Conference & Expo, the 2018 & 2019 CAI Virginia Leadership Retreat, and the 2015 and 2018 CAI Law Seminar.
Sara is a graduate of the College of William and Mary and George Mason University School of Law. In addition, Sara’s diverse pre-law experience includes property management and management positions with national trade associations, and has been published in several national trade publications, as well as community association industry publications, including numerous articles for WMCCAI’s Quorum magazine.
Focus areas in community association law
- General counseling and representation
- Condominium warranty negotiation disputes
- Covenants enforcement
- Drafting and amendment of governing documents
- Contract negotiations and disputes
- Loan document review
- George Mason University School of Law, Arlington, Va., J.D., 2000
- College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Va., B.A., International Studies, 1992
- 2014, S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- 2000, S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- 2000, Virginia
- Community Associations Institute (National), Business Partners Council, 2019-present
- Community Associations Institute (National), Amicus Review Committee, 2019-2020
- Community Associations Institute, Washington Metropolitan Chapter
- Board of Directors, 2019-present
- Secretary, 2020-present
- Committee Chair, 2005 (Membership & Marketing), 2017-2018 (Outreach)
- CAI Educated Business Partner Distinction, 2018
- WMCCAI Rising Star, 2005
- “Dealing with Disaster,” Quorum magazine, November 2011
- “Gaining Access to Records,” Quorum, September 2011
- “Hot Topics: Trends Community Association Law,”, CAI Law Conference, 2015.
- “Out of Order: Dealing with Disruptive People,” CAI National Webinar, May 2011
- “Getting Elvis to Leave the Building and Other Practical Ways to Restore Order,” CAI National Conference, May 2010
- Attorney, Nealon & Moran, LLP, 2002 – 2003
- Law Clerk, Hon. Lynn Leibovitz, DC Superior Court, 2001 – 2002
- Law Clerk, Hon. George Mitchell, DC Superior Court, 2000 – 2001